Skip to main content

March 25, 2019: Pearl Jam Story (Read on SPT Episode 86)

Hi Guys,

Here's my Pearl Jam story:


My first memorable music experience can be traced back to Wayne’s World.  Remember when McDonalds sold VHS tapes?  That’s how I got my first experience of Bohemian Rhapsody.  While I can’t find a strong link between Queen or Wayne’s World with Pearl Jam (however I can with Temple of the Dog, “All Night Thing” is played through the scene in Benjamin’s loft), I watched and listened to the scene of Wayne, Garth, Terry, Neil and eventually Phil sing and hang bang to an abbreviated version of this song. 

 
I wore it out so much, it drove my mom nuts and prompted her to get me a cassette tape of “Classic Queen.” If you follow this timeline, this would have been after Ten was released.  That’s right I completely missed out on the rise of Pearl Jam.  Not only did I miss out on the days of Ten, but also the rest of the 90’s.  My taste in music was coming to form in middle school and high school.  I did listen to some alternative, but I discovered the Beatles and Led Zeppelin in my teens and immersed myself in a lot of music from the 60s and 70s.  It wasn’t until just after Riot Act was released that I opened myself up to Pearl Jam.  

My friend Brian, who I was working with over the summer started playing me some of Pearl Jam and I started to get hooked.  This is a common theme throughout my life.  I’m late to the party on a band or artist, discover them years after they’ve gotten big and make up for lost time by obtaining every studio recording they’ve come out with and wear it out.  No band have I worn out more than Pearl Jam.  There are plenty of bands I have binged and collected every studio album of, however Pearl Jam is the only band I’ve gone to the length of buying deep cuts and live shows (bootlegs) to this extent and it’s not even close how much my collection of their music compares to anything else.  I made up for lost time over the 2000’s, became a Ten Club member, was there on the first day Avocado, Backspacer and Lightning Bolt were released and still wear out their records more than any other band I have ever listened to.  

I’ve had a handful of chances to see him live.  Namely in 2010, in Kansas City, I missed out for a very good reason.  My soon to be wife and I were planning to get married at the end of that month.  Also in 2011, I missed out on their performance in East Troy, WI, while we lived in Chicago.  It wasn’t until 2014, during the Lightning Bolt tour, that I bought tickets on my phone during a work trip to see them on October 20, 2014 in Milwaukee.  My wife, Morgan, and I had been living in Milwaukee for almost 3 years at that point and there was no way I was going to let another chance pass.  Now if the date and city sound familiar, stop me now, but otherwise I’m going to continue on as if there is an exciting twist to a Jordan Peele movie coming up.  The show starts in with 5 songs ranging from Pendulum to Baba O’Riley.  Already a lot to take in within the first 20 minutes.  Then they start in on Brain of J.  Afterward, Faithfull.  I was stoked by this, because I have always considered those two songs to run together perfectly like Sometimes and Hail, Hail.  After that, No Way.  I looked at Morgan and said “I think they’re going to play out the whole Yield album.  This is my favorite album of theirs!” Sure enough, he dedicates Given to Fly to Aaron Rodgers (disclosure I am not a Packers fan) and they finish out Yield while skipping over Red Dot, which they actually started off the show with in the background when they entered the stage.  My friend Ben, told me the next day that they had not played Yield front-to-back before and it was only the second time they played any album in it’s entirety (No Code a few days before in Moline).  If there’s one thing I hope to do before my time’s up on this earth, it’s to see them one more time with Morgan.  There isn’t anyone who I’d rather go to a Pearl Jam show with than her.

Forced to endure, what I could not forgive,

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 17, 2010: RIP Mozart for Guitar

Hi Brad and Brad, I first want to mention that I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did while listening to you two and Clint Wells go on about spoonfuls of flour and uncooked spaghetti.  I almost had to pull my car over as I was driving home during that part of the episode!   Since Eddie Van Halen passed away on October 6th, I've been listening to a lot of Van Halen.  I didn't really get into them until 10-15 years ago, but I consider them to be one of my favorite bands of all-time.  Eddie was truly an innovator on shredding guitar solos and may be my favorite lead guitarist ever.  I saw Mike's comment on Pearl Jam's Twitter feed referencing how he began playing guitar shortly after their first record came out.  He goes so far to say "it sounded like Eddie was from another planet" and "Eddie was like Mozart for guitar.  Changed everything and he played with Soul." I know the guys have covered Van Halen here-and-there and I looked

December 26, 2020: Someday at Christmas

Hi Brad and Brad, First, I hope you guys have had a Happy Holidays.  Secondly, I really enjoy your solo episodes.  They have a deejay format to them which also feels personable in getting to know each of your lives and what has influenced you to be who you are now. I hadn't taken the time to get to know Someday at Christmas until after listening to BradB's recent episode.  Pearl Jam does a great job in covering the song, and I prefer Stevie Wonder's version over the Jackson 5.  Especially, after reading the lyrics and reading some interpretations of the song.  At the time the song was released, the Vietnam War was still underway.  The lyrics seem to voice opposition to the war itself, but also express the hope for racial and economic equality.  Unfortunately, that message still resonates strongly.   Stevie Wonder was one of the artists that shaped my musical interests when I was a teenager.  I'm very glad the guys chose to cover this song for a Christmas single and have

December 31, 2020: Low Light

Hi Jessi and Kate, I have been way behind on my podcasts the last several weeks.  The main reason is because myself and a friend started our own podcast!  It's not Pearl Jam themed , however it's consumed a decent amount of my week preparing for each recording.  So we now have a hit on the Dink-O-Meter for both of you.  First Jessi and now Kate!  I can't remember if I have proposed the Dink-O-Meter to you yet, but I have it as a three-tiered system: Dinky: Just your average dinky, will only skip if streaming Rinky-Dinky: Automatic skipper, even when listening to vinyl Stinky-Dinky: It's like nails on a chalkboard to you Based on Jessi's response to Parachutes, I have that somewhere between Rinky-Dinky and Stinky-Dinky.  I would have to let Jessi be the final judge on that.  For Kate's remarks to Low Light, I have it somewhere between Dinky and Rinky-Dinky, however I'm inclined to believe it's closer to Dinky because I wasn't able to note as many hot