Skip to main content

October 26, 2020: Three Days and Not Much Longer

 

Hi Jessi and Kate,

I second your comments on how difficult it is to only listen to Last Exit and not find yourself wanting to hear the rest of Vitalogy.  It's strange, because I don't really find myself doing that with any of their other records.  Vitalogy continues to grow on me in my elder years.  I think what it is with Vitalogy and some other albums I love are filler tracks.  A couple of the Beastie Boys records (Paul's Boutique and Ill Communication) have become recent favorites for the same reason.  The filler tracks seem to really glue together the track listing, which I think Vitalogy may benefit from considering you would probably lose your hearing a lot faster having Dave A. destroy his drum kit for 11-12 tracks straight.  As I am writing this email, I am "Spinning the Black Circle" on a new record player table my wife got me for my birthday.

I'm not sure of the exact timeline of when the lyrics to Last Exit were written, but it is really coincidental on how the lyrics read in the context of Kurt Cobain.  The constant line of "Three Days and Not Much Longer" does line up with the fact that Kurt was found 3 days after he took his own life.  Reading over the lyrics they suggest to me that this is speaking to someone who is trying to find their way back to their life before they became a big success.

 Let the sun shine, burn away my mask.

It's as if this person wants to be unrecognizable so they can go back to living an under-the-radar life.  I know Ed struggled with this as well, but not to the extreme as Kurt did.  In some ways I can relate to climbing up to a certain status that starts to pull you away from you who you feel you really are.  As if you can't be yourself without the risk of losing everything.  I feel myself wishing I could go back to living at a time in my life that felt easier.  I know there are some other lines in the lyric that contradict this interpretation, "let the ocean dissolve away my past," but I can't stop hearing the parallels to Kurt Cobain's struggles in this song.

Forced to endure, what I could not forgive,

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 26, 2020: Someday at Christmas

Hi Brad and Brad, First, I hope you guys have had a Happy Holidays.  Secondly, I really enjoy your solo episodes.  They have a deejay format to them which also feels personable in getting to know each of your lives and what has influenced you to be who you are now. I hadn't taken the time to get to know Someday at Christmas until after listening to BradB's recent episode.  Pearl Jam does a great job in covering the song, and I prefer Stevie Wonder's version over the Jackson 5.  Especially, after reading the lyrics and reading some interpretations of the song.  At the time the song was released, the Vietnam War was still underway.  The lyrics seem to voice opposition to the war itself, but also express the hope for racial and economic equality.  Unfortunately, that message still resonates strongly.   Stevie Wonder was one of the artists that shaped my musical interests when I was a teenager.  I'm very glad the guys chose to cover this song for a Christmas single and have

December 31, 2020: Low Light

Hi Jessi and Kate, I have been way behind on my podcasts the last several weeks.  The main reason is because myself and a friend started our own podcast!  It's not Pearl Jam themed , however it's consumed a decent amount of my week preparing for each recording.  So we now have a hit on the Dink-O-Meter for both of you.  First Jessi and now Kate!  I can't remember if I have proposed the Dink-O-Meter to you yet, but I have it as a three-tiered system: Dinky: Just your average dinky, will only skip if streaming Rinky-Dinky: Automatic skipper, even when listening to vinyl Stinky-Dinky: It's like nails on a chalkboard to you Based on Jessi's response to Parachutes, I have that somewhere between Rinky-Dinky and Stinky-Dinky.  I would have to let Jessi be the final judge on that.  For Kate's remarks to Low Light, I have it somewhere between Dinky and Rinky-Dinky, however I'm inclined to believe it's closer to Dinky because I wasn't able to note as many hot

December 14, 2019: Sirens (Read on the Porch, Episode 40)

Hi Jessi and Kate, Until hearing your discussion on " Sirens ," I hadn't taken the time to really think critically about the lyrics.  My first impression of "Sirens" was lukewarm.  I did initially think "are the guys trying to go adult contemporary?" It took several listens for me to appreciate it.   I had initially interpreted the lyrics to be about trying to convince your loved one to stay and not end the relationship.  I'm sure you can still interpret it in that sense, but as you guys discussed, their can be several other meanings than fear of a break up.  Life is short, and the loss of a loved one can unfortunately be very sudden.  I feared that was going to happen to me a little less than 2 years ago.  After reading back over the lyrics and listening to the song yesterday, this line speaks volumes to me. I pull you close, so much to lose Knowing that nothing lasts forever I've come to appreciate how fortunate I am to