Skip to main content

July 12, 2020: Ultimate Track List (Read on SPT Episode 145)

Hi Brad and Brad, and Jate and Kessi,

Tremendous idea by Michael Glendon.  This was a really fun thought experiment and I enjoyed hearing your 12-track lists.  I know this wasn't meant to be a contest between you four on who had the "best" track list, but if I were to pick a favorite of mine it would be Kate's.  As I've gotten older I have come to enjoy more eclectic music and I love the fact she starts with Dance and ends with Hard to Imagine.  I never would have thought to book end a tracklist with those, but they both work so well. 

Kate Jessi Brad L. Brad B.
Dance of the Clairvoyants Wasted Reprise Last Exit Last Exit
You Are Life Wasted Hail, Hail Hail, Hail
In My Tree Save You Blood Tremor Christ
Wishlist Sad In My Tree Alive
Tremor Christ Tremor Christ Do the Evolution Black
Hail, Hail In My Tree Present Tense Rearviewmirror
Oceans Rival Corduroy Light Years
Of the Girl Oceans Rearviewmirror Given to Fly
Sad Do the Evolution Given to Fly You Are
Rearviewmirror Quick Escape Unthought Known Seven O'Clock
Gone Rearviewmirror Quick Escape Buckle Up
Hard to Imagine Fatal Release Release

For my tracklist, I looked at it in a Side A and B format like the Brads.  For my opening track, it came from watching the Live at the Garden show many times and hearing what the DVD opens with.  Ever since hearing Arc in the background as fans are entering MSG, it's been a track I've wanted to see how it works, kicking off a record.  The closer is Present Tense.  I would love to see this as a closer in a setlist of theirs, the outro is my perfect ending to a tracklist.  I put Given to Fly right after Arc, because the euphoric beginning to Given to Fly seemed to compliment the beautiful tribute to the nine individuals honored from Roskilde.  After doing this, I found myself filling out the rest of both sides of the record as a flow of euphoria.  I wanted to open the second side with Wasted Reprise as a calm before the storm to then go into Alive and Quick Escape, which both feature the adrenaline-filled Mike Effen McCready blowing my mind.

Side A Side B
Arc Wasted Reprise
Given to Fly Alive
Unthought Known Quick Escape
In My Tree You Are
Alright  Of the Girl
In Hiding Present Tense

I would love to hear your guys thoughts on the flow of this tracklist.  I played it a handful of times on Spotify to test it out, and I'm enjoying it very much. 


Forced to endure, what I could not forgive,

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 26, 2020: Someday at Christmas

Hi Brad and Brad, First, I hope you guys have had a Happy Holidays.  Secondly, I really enjoy your solo episodes.  They have a deejay format to them which also feels personable in getting to know each of your lives and what has influenced you to be who you are now. I hadn't taken the time to get to know Someday at Christmas until after listening to BradB's recent episode.  Pearl Jam does a great job in covering the song, and I prefer Stevie Wonder's version over the Jackson 5.  Especially, after reading the lyrics and reading some interpretations of the song.  At the time the song was released, the Vietnam War was still underway.  The lyrics seem to voice opposition to the war itself, but also express the hope for racial and economic equality.  Unfortunately, that message still resonates strongly.   Stevie Wonder was one of the artists that shaped my musical interests when I was a teenager.  I'm very glad the guys chose to cover this song for a Christmas single and have

December 31, 2020: Low Light

Hi Jessi and Kate, I have been way behind on my podcasts the last several weeks.  The main reason is because myself and a friend started our own podcast!  It's not Pearl Jam themed , however it's consumed a decent amount of my week preparing for each recording.  So we now have a hit on the Dink-O-Meter for both of you.  First Jessi and now Kate!  I can't remember if I have proposed the Dink-O-Meter to you yet, but I have it as a three-tiered system: Dinky: Just your average dinky, will only skip if streaming Rinky-Dinky: Automatic skipper, even when listening to vinyl Stinky-Dinky: It's like nails on a chalkboard to you Based on Jessi's response to Parachutes, I have that somewhere between Rinky-Dinky and Stinky-Dinky.  I would have to let Jessi be the final judge on that.  For Kate's remarks to Low Light, I have it somewhere between Dinky and Rinky-Dinky, however I'm inclined to believe it's closer to Dinky because I wasn't able to note as many hot

December 14, 2019: Sirens (Read on the Porch, Episode 40)

Hi Jessi and Kate, Until hearing your discussion on " Sirens ," I hadn't taken the time to really think critically about the lyrics.  My first impression of "Sirens" was lukewarm.  I did initially think "are the guys trying to go adult contemporary?" It took several listens for me to appreciate it.   I had initially interpreted the lyrics to be about trying to convince your loved one to stay and not end the relationship.  I'm sure you can still interpret it in that sense, but as you guys discussed, their can be several other meanings than fear of a break up.  Life is short, and the loss of a loved one can unfortunately be very sudden.  I feared that was going to happen to me a little less than 2 years ago.  After reading back over the lyrics and listening to the song yesterday, this line speaks volumes to me. I pull you close, so much to lose Knowing that nothing lasts forever I've come to appreciate how fortunate I am to