Skip to main content

June 17, 2020: Black Lives Matter

Hi Branden,

I just listened to your Intermission episode from Season 4.  A lot of what you said is what I needed to hear right now.  Racial discrimination has been an issue that has bothered me for as long as I realized it existed.  One thing you mentioned was the fact that the individuals who don't want to believe in White Privilege (I refuse to put that in quotes anymore, because it insinuates it's not real) want to see those fighting wear themselves out.  This week has been difficult, because I have felt burnt out.  I hadn't engaged with the people who are in denial of White Privilege until Monday of this week.  The main reason why I want to do the episode on Grievance is how I feel the lyric, especially the chorus, strikes a nerve with the peaceful protesting of Colin Kaepernick.  I have a subscription to The Athletic and read a story titled, "Roger Goodell and players have spoken. Now, an action plan for what comes next." Normally, I don't engage on the discussion board, especially when it comes to a polarizing topic like this.  I always tell myself it's not worth arguing or trying to reason with many individuals who want to try to blow up the narrative of the story written.  The most frequent comment made was that they will cancel their subscription to the Athletic (not sure if you are familiar with it, but it's revenue is purely reliant on subscriptions and they do not place ads on their platform), because they don't want political issues written about on a sports website.  A lot of slander was given to Colin Kaepernick about how shitty of a QB he was/is and that he doesn't give a shit about the NFL and is all about himself.  The response I regret giving the most was telling those opposing the existence of White Privilege that I didn't care if they were on board or not.  That's bull shit.  I care a lot of those who can't see this as an issue of humanity rather than about disrespecting the flag (main reason I want to talk about Grievance) and claiming the black community for not taking accountability.  I responded to dozens of comments and kept getting mentioned that I was making an argument without any facts.  It's pathetic to me that you need "facts" to see White Privilege.  I wasted more than half a day at work and most of my evening on Monday going back-and-forth.  That experience took a lot out of me, but I now see the importance of calling out those, especially white men, who cannot accept the movement of Black Lives Matter. 


When we were near the end of taping our show on In Hiding, you asked me if I wanted to plug something.  I gave you a somewhat half-assed response, but I wish I had been more blunt.  My wife and I have financially supported the ACLU and HRC for the past few years.  After the death of George Floyd, we began donating money to the Know Your Rights Camp, founded by Colin Kaepernick.  I strongly believe in these organizations and hope by helping these groups, that they can enact the change desperately needed.  This will be a long and exhausting fight.  The bill Trump signed yesterday was the same bull shit as every other time.  We'll incentivize and re-train expecting that intangible action will handle the problem of police brutality on black men.  The budgets of these departments need to decrease, so funding can be put back into the communities that have no support of public programs to lift up and develop the youth in those challenged areas, so they can succeed in this fucked up world.

Looking forward to talking about Grievance.  I'm sure I will have a lot to say for that episode.

I Pledge My Grievance to the Flag,

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 17, 2010: RIP Mozart for Guitar

Hi Brad and Brad, I first want to mention that I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did while listening to you two and Clint Wells go on about spoonfuls of flour and uncooked spaghetti.  I almost had to pull my car over as I was driving home during that part of the episode!   Since Eddie Van Halen passed away on October 6th, I've been listening to a lot of Van Halen.  I didn't really get into them until 10-15 years ago, but I consider them to be one of my favorite bands of all-time.  Eddie was truly an innovator on shredding guitar solos and may be my favorite lead guitarist ever.  I saw Mike's comment on Pearl Jam's Twitter feed referencing how he began playing guitar shortly after their first record came out.  He goes so far to say "it sounded like Eddie was from another planet" and "Eddie was like Mozart for guitar.  Changed everything and he played with Soul." I know the guys have covered Van Halen here-and-there and I looked

December 26, 2020: Someday at Christmas

Hi Brad and Brad, First, I hope you guys have had a Happy Holidays.  Secondly, I really enjoy your solo episodes.  They have a deejay format to them which also feels personable in getting to know each of your lives and what has influenced you to be who you are now. I hadn't taken the time to get to know Someday at Christmas until after listening to BradB's recent episode.  Pearl Jam does a great job in covering the song, and I prefer Stevie Wonder's version over the Jackson 5.  Especially, after reading the lyrics and reading some interpretations of the song.  At the time the song was released, the Vietnam War was still underway.  The lyrics seem to voice opposition to the war itself, but also express the hope for racial and economic equality.  Unfortunately, that message still resonates strongly.   Stevie Wonder was one of the artists that shaped my musical interests when I was a teenager.  I'm very glad the guys chose to cover this song for a Christmas single and have

December 31, 2020: Low Light

Hi Jessi and Kate, I have been way behind on my podcasts the last several weeks.  The main reason is because myself and a friend started our own podcast!  It's not Pearl Jam themed , however it's consumed a decent amount of my week preparing for each recording.  So we now have a hit on the Dink-O-Meter for both of you.  First Jessi and now Kate!  I can't remember if I have proposed the Dink-O-Meter to you yet, but I have it as a three-tiered system: Dinky: Just your average dinky, will only skip if streaming Rinky-Dinky: Automatic skipper, even when listening to vinyl Stinky-Dinky: It's like nails on a chalkboard to you Based on Jessi's response to Parachutes, I have that somewhere between Rinky-Dinky and Stinky-Dinky.  I would have to let Jessi be the final judge on that.  For Kate's remarks to Low Light, I have it somewhere between Dinky and Rinky-Dinky, however I'm inclined to believe it's closer to Dinky because I wasn't able to note as many hot